Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Make your own Laundry Soap


Is it really cheaper to make your own???  Well I finally did the math.  I realize that making your own soap is not for everyone, but if this is something you have been interested in, then this post is for you!!! I have posted on this before, found here......but I have changed the recipe a bit and made 5 times more here so I have a lot on hand.


If I figured correctly this makes roughly 

about 2 gallons of laundry detergent...it cost me $7.81 in supplies....it will make 512 loads, and if I figured right that's $.015 cents per load. 


So let's get started!!!

In a 5 gallon bucket add:

5 bars of Ivory soap (grate each bar into the bucket, I liked the small grate better.These are $1.07 for a 3 pack....I used 5 bars, so that is $1.77 for 5) 

I am sure that those who coupon, could get these much cheaper for great savings!!!


Pour in 1 box of Borax...this cost me $2.98 at Wal Mart.


And 1 container of Sun oxygen cleaner, only $1.96 at Wal Mart.


2 lbs. of baking soda, I could not find Washing soda at Wal Mart, I was told to check out my Dillons or Ace Hardware, if I end up finding some I am going to add washing soda to this mix.  It seems to work find for me even so without it.

Mix all this together and store in a 5 gallon bucket with a tight lid, I have a cute glass container I keep on my dryer with some of the solution in it for convenience. Add 1 Tablespoon per load.  We have hard water here, so I like to 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vinegar in each load of my clothing. It's a natural fabric softener as well.

I am hoping that this amount will last me 6 months to 1 year.


And of-course we've already added the Ivory soap, but I love the motto on the bar:
"If you want to be free, learn to live simply."



I added some to a brown paper lunch sack, added a label and topped it with a clothespin just for fun!! :) 

Hope you all enjoy making your detergent!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment