Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Homemade Egg Noodles (How to)

Growing up we did not have much money at all, well let's just be honest we didn't have money. ;-)  So on our birthday we got to pick what meal mother would fix for us, and one of my favorites was homemade chicken noodles and angel biscuits.  Here below I have a step by step process on the making of homemade egg noodles, such comfort food!


You will Need:

  • 2 cups white flour
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4-1/2 cup water

Measure flour into bowl, make a well in center and add egg yolks, whole egg and salt.  With hands thoroughly mix egg into flour. Add water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. (Add only enough water to form dough into a ball.)


Turn dough onto well-floured cloth-covered board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Cover, let rest 10 minutes.


Divide dough into 4 equal parts.



Roll dough, 1 part at a time, into paper thin-thin recntangle, keeping remaining dough covered. Roll rectangle around rolling pin; slip out rolling pin.




Cut dough crosswise into 1/8-inch strips for narrow noodles and 1/4-inch stripes for wide noodles. Shake out stripes and place on towel to dry. about 2 hours.
(NOTE:  I do not roll my dough out paper thin, I am sure it is a personal preference, I also do not have a noodle cutter so a pizza cutter works great or a large knife.  I was in a hurry when I made this batch and it only air dried about 45 min., and they still tasted wonderful! )
When dry break dry stripes into smaller pieces. Cook in 3 quarts boiling water 12-15 min. or until tender.  If you are making chicken noodles add the noodles to your pot of cooked chicken and broth.


Finished product, as you can see my noodles are very thick!  Nothing like it on a chilly fall day, it's great with Amish Bread too!

4 comments:

  1. I also love chicken and noodles! My mother NEVER made them. My grandmother made them all the time and I just in the last two years decided to teach myself. I'm getting better at them. I posted my recipe just a couple weeks ago. I also love beef and egg noodles using left over roast beef! yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, hmmmmm, I had not thought of homemade egg noodles and beef, sounds yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, it's been eons since I tried my hand at homemade noodles. Yours look yummy and have inspired me to try them again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm! I love homemade chicken and noodles. I made some for supper today. I use my great, great grandmother's recipe, but it's almost the same as yours. It's a lot of work, but very yummy!! I'm going to have to try some of the recipes you've posted.

    ReplyDelete