Thursday, September 10, 2009

Amish Bread and Egg Salad Recipe

This morning I made Amish bread, it is my new favorite bread recipe. It calls for all white flour but I have been adding 3 cups of fresh ground prairie gold wheat and 3 cups of white. It is delightful made into egg salad sandwiches, I will post my egg salad recipe as well.


Amish White Bread Recipe
2 cups warm water (110F)
2/3 cups white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups white flour (or 3 cups wheat, and 3 white)
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in the warm water, add yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam, about 10 minutes.
2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Work in 6 cups of flour. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in well oiled bowl, and turn once to coat the entire surface of the dough with oil. Cover with a clean damp cotton cloth. Allow dough to rise until double in size. (Mine took about an hour).
3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves and place into well oiled 9x5 loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes.
4. Bake in a 350F oven for 30 minutes. When you thump the top of the bread it should sound hollow.For a buttery crust, brush hot loaves with butter. Cool on a rack and enjoy! Also find the recipe here



Marie's Egg Salad Recipe
8 hard boiled eggs
1/4 cup mayo
Squeeze of Spicy Brown Mustard
Squeeze of Yellow Mustard
Lemon Pepper
Seasoned Salt
After my eggs are done, I dice them up and then add my mayo, squeeze of mustards, and lemon pepper and seasoned salt to taste. I just sprinkle it across the eggs lightly, so I'm not sure how much I use.
This is a salty flavor and I love the contrast with the sweet Amish bread, it's a family hit!


6 comments:

  1. The bread looks yummy, and now I have to go make egg salad. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the prairie gold white whole wheat, though I have a hard time finding it around here. Your photo has my mouth watering!

    I haven't had time to do much blog visiting lately, but I just noticed your eBay link. Maybe it was the Amish made furniture! These pieces are similar to the ones we found at Shady Maple Smörgåsbord when we were in Pennsylvania last month for my son's wedding. We bought two small cabinets, and I was disappointed that I couldn't find this furniture in their online store. I would love to have more pieces but won't be able to buy within your eBay timeframe. Hopefully you will carry them for awhile(?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh,
    Thanks so much for visitig again! I know the prairie gold is wonderful, I get it from a Mennonite store that I grew up close to and my mom brings it on her visits. I am hoping to offer it in 5 lb. increments on ebay.
    I am so excited to be offering the Amish furniture - but no worries on longevity, I have an ebay store and you can look at all the pieces we offer and we offer them continually!
    Have a wonderful day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! If you'd like I can put the recipe on my site with credit to your blog. Just let me know then.
    www.Pa-Dutch-Travel.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be great, thanks so much for visiting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this yesterday and it was wonderful! I did experiment a little and used 1/2 of the white sugar and it was still delicious! Easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete