Friday, January 8, 2010

Ramblings......

I finally made up a bottle of baking soda for shampoo and a bottle of white vinegar rinse to wash my hair.  And I have to admit at first I was thinking this isn't going to work, but then I considered the idea that baking soda is used to clean things, why not my scalp and hair?  I massaged it into my scalp and let it sit a little, then rinsed.  Then I sprinkled on the vinegar rinse (careful not to get it in my eyes, IT HURTS) and let it sit for a little, thin rinse.  

My hair was so easy to brush when I got out of the shower, I was surprised, I will never use regular shampoo and conditioner again, so healthy and affordable.  And much better than the cheap stuff I was having to buy anyways!


I made four loaves of bread a couple days ago, I am following the Emergency Menu on Hillbilly Housewife.
I have changed a few things, but overall I really like the ready made shopping list and recipes included.  I haven't tried her bread recipe yet, I stuck with my Amish bread recipe and cut the sugar down in it!  I doubled the recipe and made three bread loaves and one braided loaf, I love making braided loaves.

Last night off the menu we had homemade tortillas, smashed pinto beans, and spanish rice.  I used my own recipes here too, but just having the ideas of what to make in a low price range and still healthy is really great!

I am including my Tortilla Recipe below:

Homemade Tortillas

1-1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1-1/2 white flour
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/4 c. warm milk
3 tsp. baking powder
1 Tablespoon oil

Mix all together and pinch off about size of a golfball. Round into ball and then roll out with rolling pin, Cook on oiled griddle until bubbles appear on tortilla then turn.  So yummy filled with beans and rice!

These are also good cooked again in butter in a skillet and then sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and cut into fours.

No comments:

Post a Comment