Thursday, July 9, 2009

"Easy" Bread

Today I was looking in the cabinets and things are getting low (time to go shopping) so I was trying to think of what to have for lunch for me and the kiddos. BREAD! So I pulled out my favorite Betty Crocker cookbook (it's the one I grew up with, I find that you are partial to the Betty Crocker cookbook you grow up with).

I found the Streamlined Batter Bread which requires no kneading and so it is now rising on my stovetop waiting to enter the oven.

Here is the recipe below from the 1971 Betty Crocker

Streamlined Batter Bread

(No kneading, short-time rising, snap shaping. All this and versatility too. Just try one of the flavor-twist variations to enhance your menu)

1 T active dry yeast
1-1/4 cup warm water
2 T shortening ( I use oil)
2 T sugar (you could use honey)
2 tsp. salt
2-2/3 cup flour ( I used 2 cups of fresh ground wheat and 2/3 white flour)

In large mixer bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add shortening, sugar, salt, and 2 cups of flour. Blend 1/2 min. on low speed, beat 2 min. on medium speed. (by hand 300 strokes). Stir in remaining flour. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 30 min.

Stir down batter by beating about 25 strokes. Spread evenly in greased loaf pan. Smooth out top of batter by patting into shape with floured hand. Cover, rise double, 40 min.

Heat oven to 375. Bake 45 min. or until loaf sound shollow when tapped. Brush top with melted butter. Remove loaf from pan; cool on wire rack.

When I get my trusty computer back I will start posting actual photos of my baked goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment