Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Flourless Red Velvet Cake

 Well I have accomplished two firsts tonight: 1. I made a red velvet cake and 2. a flourless cake.
The process was unique and fun and I really appreciated the flavor and texture. I was inspired through the Mrs. Southern Bride Blog and needless to say I do not believe I can create a picture as alluring as the one she has shown of her red velvet bliss cake. :)

Oh yes! And I would like to add that I ran out of red food coloring so mine looks purple...guess you could call it a Magenta Velvet Cake. ha ha ha But here it is anyways.




Here is the recipe as found on her blog

(Flourless) Red Velvet Cake
(Source: Mrs. Southern Bride Blog)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 Cup Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
1 cup unsalted butter
6 eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 teaspoon of White Vinegar
2 teaspoons of Red Food Coloring

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease one 10 inch round cake pan and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water, salt and sugar. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
3. In the microwave melt chocolate chips in 30 second increments, and stir until melted.
4. Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate in your mixer. Slowly add the hot sugar-water, and beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla, vinegar, and red food coloring until well blended.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Have a pan larger than the cake pan ready, put the cake pan in the larger pan and fill the pan with boiling water halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
6. Bake cake in the water bath at 300 degrees for 45 minutes. The center will still look wet. Chill cake for 2-3 hours in the freezer.

For the Glaze:

3 Tablespoons of Milk
3 Tablespoons of Cream Cheese
3-4 Tablespoons of Powdered Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon of Vanilla

Mix ingredients, until a creamy paste forms. Pour over individual slices of the cake. Enjoy!

(My Notes:  I did not have bittersweet so I used semi-sweet chocolate chips.  Also for the glaze I used 2 oz. of cream cheese and about 8-10 tablespoons of powdered sugar.)

What a wonderful treat it was!!!!




Creations by Kara






No comments:

Post a Comment