I love hanging my clothes on the line!!! I am really good about doing it in the spring/summer, but when winter would come along I would use the dryer. In the past I have went without both a washer and a dryer just to see if I could do it! :) I lasted 3 months and I was ever so thankful for a washing machine again. I found one on craigslist for $25, and so far it has lasted a couple of years. I think I will go back one day to hand washing, but I would much prefer to have one of these!!! Instructions to make these can be found @ HomelessDave.com
I decided to get a dryer too, it was $25, but a couple of months ago a piece came off inside of it and clothes will get stuck in it, it buts black stains on them or even holes. And while I like the convenience of a dryer, I do not have the funds to purchase another one yet. Not sure if I want too, I sure love the money I save not using a dryer!!!
So this is what I did:
1. I found a drying rack at a thrift store for $2.00. It is not fancy, and maybe a little flimsy but it works!!!!
2. Before I got the nice tall drying rack on wheels, I would hang all adult clothing on hangers and hang them up in the bathroom shower rod to dry.
3. Then a dear friend gave me the handy drying rack. I rearranged my area by the laundry room and placed these two drying racks near the washer and near the window where the sun shines through.
4. I went through all of our laundry and gave away about half of it. When you are not using a dryer at all to dry your clothing it takes a good 12-24 hours to dry a load indoors. By minimizing our amount of clothing I can stay on top of our laundry much easier.
5. I also keep the children's dressers near by, as you can see in the picture, so when the clothes are dry, I simply fold them and place them in their drawers. It makes for a pretty fast process.
The basket full of clothes are clean ones I need to put away. I really do enjoy hanging my clothing to dry versus using a dryer. It is very peaceful to me. What is your laundry set-up? I'd love to know!!! :)
My Grandma has one of these hanging drying racks, she loves it to hang underwear and socks from, she keeps it right by the washing machine. When I did not have a washer or dryer I used one of these and it really helped, I think I'll have to get one again!!!