Friday, January 28, 2011

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies


I absolutely LOVE to bake......okay yes it's an obsession of mine. :).  I have been baking since I was 11 years old in my Mama's kitchen. She taught me what temperature the water should be for making bread and I went to town baking! :)

I would bake bread and sell on the side of our highway.......but my Uncles always got wind I was doing that and bought me out before anyway could stop. Sure made that little girl happy!!!

 Always a skinny little girl I was...but as life happened and children came along the pounds came along too and the baking didn't stop.  Last year I put a minor hold on my baking and lost 40 lbs. I still made a few things but I really tried to not partake.

Recently I concluded that there is no need to stop baking......but to start baking foods that are full of goodness and healthy for my family...and Me! :)

So the search has begun you will find more baked goods on my blog that are a little bit easier on the waistline and I hope you enjoy them.

And because no one can do without chocolate chip cookies, here ya go:

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
my version below is a bit different from the original

  • 1/2 cup coconut oil (room temperature, solid state) ( I did not use quite 1/2 a cup, just a little under)
  • 1/2 cup honey (I did a little under 1/2 cup of honey as well)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 cup grated, unsweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds (not salted)
  • 1 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup whole wheat flower
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

I then rolled these into little balls, I took about 1 Tablespoon of dough and rolled them up. Baked them at 375 for about 9 minutes, no more.  These stay formed, they are simply delicious, I renamed them granola balls! :)  The kids LOVED them too!!!


This is a great deal on sunflower seeds, I bought mine from Dillons and certainly over paid!!!







3 comments:

  1. Hi I'm Marie I came by website through a little bit of spain in Iowa and I saw these cookies. I was making granola today and thought I wonder if I can make granola, chocolate chip cookies. The answer to my prayers! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie.....that is so amazing, and I just posted these!!! I love it!! Have a blessed day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love healthy recipes. That way I can enjoy my sweets and feel good about it. These cookies look just right. I have a linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up.

    ReplyDelete