Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Old Fashioned Gingerbread Scones w/Lavender




This summer I started baking with lavender.  It was new to me, something I had never baked with as a teenager, it has taken me long enough to start using it, and now that I am, I'm hooked!

From using it in cakes, cookies, scones, or my evening tea, lavender is sure to soothe.

If you are new to baking with lavender you will want to make sure and purchase culinary lavender that is safe for baking, like the lavender below.




One of my favorite websites, the bulk herb store sells it as well, for a very good price (they ship fast too!!!)


They include some wonderful information about lavender as well!!!

I found this recipe on a website full of lavender recipes, Hood River Lavender

Old Fashioned Gingerbread Scones w/Lavender

     2 cups all-purpose flour “organic”
     2 tsp baking powder
      ¼ tsp soda
       ½ tsp salt
       1 tsp cinnamon
        1 tsp fresh grated ginger
            1/8 tsp cloves ( I didn't have cloves)
                1 Tbsp culinary lavender “Signature Blend” ground (I just used 1 Tablespoon of lavender buds)

Add:

                                                   7 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut up

Mix together with pastry blender,
until mixture looks like fine granules.

Stir in with fork:              ½ tsp vanilla
To form a smooth,          1/3 cup milk
Rather soft dough.          1/3 cup molasses
                                                                          ½ cup raisins ( I didn't have raisins either)

Preheat oven 375’.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and give 10-12 kneads.  Cut dough in half. Knead each half into a ball, turn smooth side up, and place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Pat each piece of dough into a 5” circle, and cut into wedges (6-8 each); leave sides touching. Bake 10 minutes – being careful not to over bake. Sprinkle with Lavender sugar. Break apart after cooled.
*Lavender Sugar: *1 cup coarse organic granulated sugar, 1 Tbsp culinary lavender “Signature Blend”. Grind together in coffee grinder, and store overnight. Serve with applesauce, honey, slice of cheddar cheese, and/or whipping cream J Enjoy!

NOTE: I did not have lavender sugar so I covered the top with raw sugar and sprinkled on a few lavender buds.



Speaking of lavender scones, I used my scone pictures to make a new button today, I have three new buttons designed now and are on the right, feel free to grab one before you leave. I will be posting soon information on easily making your own blog buttons.






1 comment:

  1. these look yummy! I just started cooking with lavender this past summer, after I grew some in my herb garden. It wasn't as "old fashioned" as I thought :) I will be trying these for sure. We love scones in our house. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete